Learn from the Valuation Process
90% of the business or practice reports called “valuations” by others
are not by any professional organization’s valuation expert standards.
Show us your valuation or a sample, and we will show you why it does not meet the standards. What's worse, the calculations are off by an average of 25%. In addition, no matter what your business valuation goals are, that's too far off. Learn more about our valuation standards.
Here's the Secret to a Useful
Business Valuation Process
Get Proof You Are Doing
the Right Things
10 Initial Data and Document Requests
Discovery it is not just getting documents; it is the right documents with all of the pages. Anything less is a guess. An honest valuation is in your best interests for negotiating strength and a fair outcome.
You have a lot of your money at risk. Accuracy is important to your financial goals. Our business valuation process finds risk and value driving facts others miss. Provide what you can. We will work through the others later.
Please provide only those items already created in the existing course of business operations. These materials are important to the valuation process, and other business planning. Please save or scan records to PDF to e-mail to us
You, your attorney, your accountant, and any others are welcome to e-mail for help gathering the data and documents at no charge.
Let''s dig into getting started right ...
- The Valuation's Purpose, Scope, & Use (Exit/Succession, Divorce, Financial Planning, Hidden Income or Assets, Business Intellectual Property Valuation, Internal/External Sale, Buy-Sell, and Others)
- Valuation Date(s) Selected, and Standard of Value; Your attorney may need to help
- Website Addresses and Online Listings (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Last 5 years of business tax returns (Preparer’s PDF Copies) with ALL details such as, but not limited to the schedules, forms, notes, and preparer data entry worksheets including the depreciation worksheet with all assets in depreciation and those fully depreciated; and assets no longer owned deleted or marked/lined out; and amended and tax audits of any kind
- Last 5 year-end financial statements and on the valuation date, (if cash basis, also provide accrual)
- Last 5 year-end and value date payroll summaries, W-3, Worker Comp, HR handbook, job descriptions
- All state sales tax filings for the last 3 years and as of the valuation date; and any amended and audits
- Incorporation, organization, operating policies, and buy-sell agreements
- Past business appraisals, valuation, evaluations, and plans of any kind
- Owner resumes, and job title and job description with a workweek list of responsibilities and time allocation outline by job function or activity; and fringe benefits details. Also, describe related parties who work in/for the business. List of software/tech used, competitors, and risk management actions. (Exception: Create these items even if they are not available.)
Note: A service’s fees, procedures, and opinions are independent and never negotiable. All valuations and appraisals advocate for the facts, process, and presented opinion. Litigation reports are completed as a friend of the court. No valuations or appraisals are completed as an advocate for any party. Therefore, do not expect an opinion favorable to your position because you paid my fee.
These 10 requests are just the start for gathering the important data and documents. e-Mail us any questions about the process. The work you invest will pay good dividends in the valuation process, and your search for what the company is worth.
Also see the Ten Rules for a Top Notch Business Valuation on the linked page.
Use Your Business Valuation to Improve Your Strategic Planning and Selling Price
Experienced professional help makes your money decision difference.
Is selling your best option? What are your other viable options?
What are your financial trends? Do you like where you are headed?
How do you compare to your peers? Is your business model attractive to buyers?
Can you transfer what's making you money?
If you have an exit plan, who's your best target buyer?
Do you have proof of what you're doing right? Would a buyer believe you?
Our business valuation and financial analysis services will answer these important questions, and a great many more. Also see CBA Valuation Services Lists.
Using your business valuation for strategic planning creates a smart road map for building your firm's value. Very few smaller firms review three to five years of income statements on a single page. Even fewer look at their financial and operating trends, and survey company operating risks. Your valuation does these things and more. See Valuation FAQ for more details.
Your valuation will tell you exactly what's driving your firm's value, and answers other key performance questions. Eventually, some outsider will tell you what they think your business is worth. Wouldn't you feel better prepared knowing your key risk and value drivers? Or, are you driving a car with 50 miles worth of gas, when the next gas station is 100 miles away?
Call (513) 266-3226 Today e-Mail valuation@CertifiedBusinessAppraisal.com today to get started answering key value questions.
A lighter look at Improving Your Calculation Results. Client pet vet shared video.
Does your company have an early warning system?
Changes bring growth opportunities when you recognize trends. Your survival depends on seeing the change, and then evolving.
Every business has unique internal operating and external industry risks.
Our Business Trend Radar, BTRSM is a process of identifying your business risk trends. The risk net is an octagon. Our eight strategies cross-connect to catch trends to improve your business tactics and competitive positioning.
Whether you are facing
- For most deals, the buyer has the better negotiating position. The bargaining advantage can be yours with smart deal options.
- Identifying and protecting intellectual property and trade secrets; this is both a business and a personal concern
- Business succession planning for internal management or exiting owners
- Changing personal choice concerns about the business
- Looking to better evaluate business expansion ideas
- Industry new national and global competition, cyber-security threats targeting your business,
or are you in the 50% of mature industry companies about to be slammed by new technology
- An unknown change, you feel is coming in ________, but you haven’t fully identified it, and the potential opportunities or problems
- High or low company valuation extremes in volatile markets
we can help you address your pressing questions;
and when needed we can suggest ways to coordinate your personal and business financial planning.
Planning prevents poor performance. You can set up a process that prevents being blindsided, and rewards your preparation.
While a few clients believed us at first, the BTRSM early warning system saves time. Just think about the time you have spent putting out business problem fires over the years. An early warning would have been helpful.